What direction do we go with the project ?

Coordinator
May 29, 2007 at 8:06 AM
Hi Guys

Now the codeplex is setup and we are ready for the definitation about what direction to go.

I have some ideas...

Create a project with more standard controls....

New package with full version af demo shop.

Do you agree in my defination ?

-Gert
Developer
May 30, 2007 at 7:37 AM
I agree that it should be one full package that features the generic controls and maybe one or two common payment gateways.

Should we set up some sort of prose guideline about who this extension should target, and what kind of products it should support? That way we could have a reference point to make decisions from when deciding what features should be implemented. Maybe some sort of Whitepaper?
Developer
May 30, 2007 at 2:15 PM
We deffinately want to define a target otherwise we will shoot our self in the feet.

In my oppinion the target is smaller businesses with 0-500 products. and with no link to an ERP system.
I don't see the products as a barrier you can sell what ever you want - I like the current method with single or multiple products - it works really good.

I see the following gateways as a good start: Epay (or DIBS, same system) and Paypal for international users - I have allready made that, its really simple.

We have to make a make UI for the shop manager and if possible link to the payment gateway.

A full package isn't to hard to make with Per's new package creator.
But if we want to make a package - we have to have a really good template - because I know that someone is going to use it without chaging a bit.
Here I mean full CSS and xhtml, but there must be a creative webdesigner out there....
Developer
May 30, 2007 at 4:40 PM
Regarding different products, i was thinking that maybe a part of the target group would like to sell software/downloads/memberships or something like that. I have no idea what it would take to do this, but we could consider if it should be a part of the package.

I haven't got any experience in making packages, I think that it's important that we do not only make a website package, but also an extension package, that lets people with existing websites easily add a small webshop to their website, by installing the shop to a node. Am I right about this?

I agree on making a UI for the shop manager. The shop owner needs to be able to configure freight costs and so on without technical knowledge. Bu twe should probably also set a goal for how advanced the managing should be. Should it be possible to print out orders, make discounts to certain customers and so on, or should it simply be a list of orders that can be exported to xml or such?
Developer
May 31, 2007 at 6:57 AM
Ok I haven't thought about these kind of products - that's also interesting.

Regarding packaging that's not too hard - I'm willing to do that - and I agree we need a full package and a shop extension that only installs the shop.

I think the shop manager should be able to change freight prices, VAT, confirmation emails, subject, contenct, ect.
And I think an edit funktion to an order is a must - edit orderlines - discount etc....
Jun 13, 2007 at 1:47 PM
what about different currencies and automatic exchange rates
Developer
Jun 14, 2007 at 7:40 AM

TheNez wrote:
what about different currencies and automatic exchange rates

I think the goal of this extension is to function as a simple shop extension, that is easy to maintain and set up. I think that currencies and exchange rates would probably make the setup more complex than needed, and most small/first time shops would not need that option. However it could probably be a good thing to incorporate to later versions of the extension.

Jul 16, 2007 at 7:25 PM
Discount
I would also be nice with good discount structure.
  • permanent/temporary discount
*targeting ranges of products based on product categories, productnumbers ect.
  • discount based on discountcode, login, referral ect.

ERP
ERP integration could be as simple as import/export (ETL) of csv-files (products, productgroups, orders, addresses) for starters.

Tracking
Dont forget tracking - Maybe in a later version
Tracking of purchase-flow (product-view, product-in-cart, cart-checkout, payment)

Customer Registration
Possiblity for customer registration after completed purchase.
Nov 30, 2007 at 12:20 AM
What's the status of this project? i can get some time approved to work on this project but it seems like this project has gone to sleep.
Developer
Dec 2, 2007 at 2:37 PM

ruatara wrote:
What's the status of this project? i can get some time approved to work on this project but it seems like this project has gone to sleep.

I currently work on a package so we can get this project started. And get some input to get it improved. There are just too many loose ends I want to correct first though.
I want to make a stable package so people actually can use it in production.
I am currently working on rewritting most of the usercontrols because they are a pretty mix of danish and english. I'll do them all in english and implement dictionary items so they easy can be translated. and be used in a multi domain site.

I also makes it easier to style by implemting div's and classes.

/Søren Linaa
Dec 2, 2007 at 8:18 PM
Is there anything I can do that would be helpful? I have a pretty good understanding of umbraco internals
Developer
Dec 3, 2007 at 8:01 AM
Offcause you can help - and I will really appreciate it.

I will commit my changes in a couple of days. If I get the time I'll make a package so the basics get installed.
Dec 3, 2007 at 7:13 PM
Cool, I'm keen as. I have the current code up and running and have made a quick package using the Package Creator. A couple of things I'd like to get done are:

Give all the document types, macros, etc. a prefix like ecommerceProduct so that it doesn't have naming conflicts when installing it on existing sites.
make the class names lowercase to match umbraco
make sure all the controls produce valid xhtml.

Then...

produce some templates that could be used without modification on a 'normal' umbraco site, if such a thing exists.
Document how to create a new payment processing module for this.
some sort of UI for the Store configuration and have security options for the store config.
integrate umbraco membership with the checkout.
a "check my order status" page

anyway, I'll start planning some of these things, will wait for your update.
Developer
Dec 4, 2007 at 8:22 AM
I have uploadet a patch with all my changes - but I have no idea how to merge it into the sourcecode.
The patch also includes a small package - just so the basics get installed.

We deffinately want to discus naming convention because it's really a mess. Maybe we should make another thread on this.

But it's great with some more help on this project.